keskiviikko 2. marraskuuta 2016

5 Things I Love About France



1. The coffee


Finns are known to consume the most coffee in the world. But what kind of coffee do we consume? It is not rare to be served a cup of coffee in a restaurant or a coffee house that has been stirring in the pot for more than few hours. The coffee has turned brown and tastes bitter. The point is not the quality, but to just have the cup of coffee. In France I have learned to appreciate the freshness and good quality of this black gold. If the coffee is bad, it's a scandal. And I have learned it is also not the quantity that matters. When the taste is on point, a little goes a long way. And in France coffee equals expresso. If you want it the Finnish way, make a point of asking for café long.

2. The restaurants


The first time I cried for food was in Paris. It was so delicious I felt my brain tickling. Afterwards I have been time after time spoiled by amazing culinary experiences. And you know what? In completely ordinary French restaurants. No five star stuff, but prepared with care from fresh, seasonal ingredients. I also love how the French manage to make their restaurants so effortlessly casual and comfy. I'm yet to find a Finnish restaurant that would combine real casualness and good food (and reasonable prices).

3. The history


History is everywhere in France. I never imagined that a country could have so many well preserved medieval castles and villages and even monuments from the Roman times. One of our favorite past times with my husband is to hop in our car and go discover a new cute historical village. We walk the narrow medieval streets, visit the tiny church and have a coffee in the local bar. We love to visit the numerous museums that the South of France has to offer. 

4. The people


I will make a more in depth post on the French people very soon, but let me just say that the French are one of the most undeserving of their bad reputation. They have often a strong sense of righteousness and compassion. They are lovers of history and the arts and they are always curious to learn new things. They are also very passionate and incredibly annoying at times, but once you get the hang of it, you will casually yell your lungs out at them over your own beliefs just like they do.

5. The Bread


Oh, the French baguette. France has changed the way I feel about bread forever. It has to be fresh and crispy, but yet soft and airy inside. One of the most French things to do is stop by the boulangerie on the way home from work. On the way to your car you can't resist breaking a small piece of the fresh
 baguette to snack on.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti